I have spoken at over 50 schools. Because I write for all ages, I am comfortable speaking to kids K-12 in any forum from the classroom to an assembly.
School Author Visits
(1/2 day, Full Day, Customized Options)
I provide programs for audiences of 10 - 300 (large assembly, classroom). I also offer group discounts for multiple schools.
* Loves Science & Reading - (K-3) includes reading ANY Loves Science Book, and discussing what they learned (30 min)
* Loves Science, Reading & Writing* - (K-3) includes reading CECE and discussing three things every book needs (45 min)
* The Writer in You (4th-5th) - A creative writing topic about through the nuts and bolts of writing. (60 min)
* Turn that Page (6th - 12th) - A creative writing topic about about suspense and raising the stakes (60 min)
* Keeping it Real with Research - A creative writing topic about researching for your fiction (and nonfiction stories)
* The Passion is US (6th-12th) - An inspirational talk about finding your passion and following your dreams, especially in the arts, (60 min)
Every school visit includes bookmarks for every student, a 30min Meet/Greet for select students/teachers, and a 30 min. signing time. The workshops come with access to the Study Guide Guides, Reading Questions, and Activities that directly correlate to Common Core standards.
(First 30 min. Free)
* This is a great option for schools with a tight budget.
* I do visit in classrooms or libraries anywhere in the world!
* The number of kids is limited.
* The kids must have read at least one of my books!
* I also provide longer visits for an extra fee.
Past Speaking Engagements
(Not all inclusive)
Middle Schools/High Schools (Multiple States)
Atlanta Writers Club
Atlanta Young Writers Institute (Agnes Scott College)
Broadleaf’s Writers Association
Canton Arts Festival
Decatur Book Festival (Atlanta)
Georgia Council of Media Organizations (COMO)
Georgia Library Association (GLA)
GLMA Summer Institute
Georgia's Children's Literature Conference (GCBA, Athens)
Georgia Writer's Association
KSU – Kennesaw Conference on Literature for Children and Young Adults
Romantic Times Convention (RT)
Romance Writers Association (RWA) National Convention
SOKY – Southern Kentucky Book Festival
Society for Children's Books & Illustrators (SCBWI, Multiple Chapters)
Southeastern Writers Association
Tallahassee Writers Association
Ya'll Festival (Charleston)
I do professional development workshops on teaching staff how to to teach students writing across multi-modal and multi-subjects. Example: Writing tips and activities in subject areas across various genres (including science, social studies, and literature).
* How to teach writing to students (professional development)
* Using technology to connect readers and authors virtually
* Using Fiction to Emphasize Science or STEM topics (presented at GA Libraries NSTA, NerdCamp,
* Teaching using multi-genre/multi-modal writing (professional development) - originally presented at NCTE/Atlanta