I have several new projects in the works. I'm particularly excited about this year as I'll be both indie publishing and working toward traditional publishing as well.
2011 - Was an up and down year for me.
2011/2012 - Was all about indie pubbing.
2013 - Was all about finding the best agent for a new shiny project. (and who was more in alignment with my goals in writing and my career)
2014 - this year, is all about writing and hopefully merging a traditional career with an indie career.
The only thing I can control is how much I write, producing good books, and working on my craft.
Here is what I'm shooting for this year:
- Unstoppable (bk 3 in Nature of Grace series) - coming Spring 2014. I am currently outlining at least 2 more books in this series that might age Grace up a bit.
- Exhale - (#3 in Breathless Novelette series) - Planned for Late Spring 2014. I love this little series so I hope to find time to outline 3 more novelettes in the future.
- Secret YA cyberthriller series - (with agent) - This series is Lisbeth Sanders meets Katniss for the cyber age. I love this character and have hope she gets a chance to go far.
- A new YA medical thriller - TBD (shoot for summer completion)
- Think Likely - A Gone Girl for New Adult - TBD. I think NA contemp romance may start to get old and have readers searching for more NA in different genres. Though I've been known to be wrong ;) (shoot for Dec completion)
I'm not sure what will be published where but that is not important. It's creating them that I need to focus on for now.
How would I do all this?
My goal is to write everyday for at least 2 hours straight with a goal of 2500 words x 5 days = about 10-12,000 a week. Technically - this means I should be able to draft a solid book in 2 months (which normally takes me 4-6). This of course is because I outline in advance which helps me write faster.
BTW, I don't think indie authors have to sacrifice quality to write fast - I just think when we focus - we write faster. This doesn't mean I will skip steps - it just goes into each phase sooner than it did before.
I have a plan to focus my attention more and protect my writing time. This means scheduling out my social media time in chunks after my daily writing goal is complete.
I have finally laid out measurable goals, my author mission statement, and outlined a 1 to 5 year business plan of where I want my career to be in 5 years - and it includes both sides of publishing.
Why? Because I love both.
I plan to build my street team and connect to readers more on a personal level, which also includes a better newsletter and more intimate street team.
I am just getting started and already on a great track. Logging 10,000 words in just 2 weeks (and that's over the holidays!)
Will I be able to do all this? Who knows....but I am sure going to try.
Again this all depends on what happens along the way - this could do a total 180 b/c it factors in no outside sources or things that come up.
But you know what They say. "Shoot for the moon, if you miss, you'll land on a star."
What are your goals for 2014?