The site's popularity has exploded in recent months, making it one of the fastest-growing websites in history. Even faster than Facebook or Twitter.
It is a virtual bulletin board that you can use to find ways to redecorate your house, plan a wedding, post inspiration for books, tag meaningful quotes, keep recipes, flag books, or just keep track of random stuff that catches your eye. Kinda like a scrapbook for the Internet so you can sort through the chaos of Internet-age information overload.
It is so fun! And yes, just like Twitter, it can be a major time sucker. But did I mention fun. I love finding people because you can learn so much about them and their writing by seeing there pins.
It can make you crazy because you could honestly pin all day long. I love everything it seems.
Come join me if you are on there - it is hard to find people.
Things to know About Pinterest
- You have to request an invite
- You need to watch out for copyright issues
- Make sure you link to a web sources for pictures - could be harming artists
- You will have to sign in with Twitter or FB
- Watch out for the time sucking factor
- Don't just promote your book- make it a 2 way dialogue
- Most users are women between 25 and 44. So not a huge teen market.
- People can repin pictures on Pinterest or pin from various sites.
Ways Authors Can Use Pinterest
- Get connected - another way to build a platform and meet cool people you might not normally meet. There are over
- Launch daily pinning themes around your books or writing
- Run pinning contests using photos or covers
- Find book inspirations
- Promote your blog by linking images back to blog posts
- Promote your friend's books
- Create Boards for your books to give inside scoop on characters or setting
Here are a few articles on more ways to use Pinterest:
21 unexpected ways to use Pinterest
13 Things writers should know about Pinterest
10 Pinterest tips for Authors
What do you think? What else can you use Pinterest for? If you are on Pinterest, add your id to the comments. If you are not, go here to request an invite.