I will go out on a limp and say I even love it more than The Body Finder!
And I stayed up all night in 2 nights to finish that one.
In the violent country of Ludania, the language you speak determines what class you are, and there are harsh punishments if you forget your place—looking a member of a higher class in the eye can result in immediate execution.
Seventeen-year-old Charlaina (Charlie for short) can understand all languages, a dangerous ability she’s been hiding her whole life. Her only place of release is the drug-filled underground club scene, where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. There, she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy who speaks a language she’s never heard, and her secret is almost exposed.
Through a series of violent upheavals, it becomes clear that Charlie herself is the key to forcing out the oppressive power structure of her kingdom….
What I loved about this book:
1) A fresh take on dystopia and fantasy all rolled into one.
2) It's creepy!
3) I love that the ruler is a woman - finally!
4) Max's little note - so sweet - love him.
5) The unexpected twists and reveals!
6) I loved Charlie (MC) from the start. Felt sorry for her. Can't imagine hiding a gift so powerful it could cause your death.
7) The queen was nasty and it was scary what was going on in her head/thoughts.
8) Did I mention Max is hot?!
9) It's so pacy!!!! I read it in like a day.
10) The implication of language and hot it can bring together or break up society. (yeah a little heavy But I'm not as dumb as I might look :)
11) I love the cover!
12) I adore Kimberly too :)
Check out the other Bookanista posts:
- Elana Johnson is obsessed with Possess
- Christine Fonseca twirls for Audition
- Shannon Whitney Messenger is wowed by The White Assassin – with giveaway
- Beth Revis interviews The Girl of Fire & Thorns author Rae Carson
- Carolina Valdez Miller delves into The Future of Us – with signed book giveaway
- Shana Silver shouts out about Shut Out
- Sarah Frances Hardy fancies You Will Be My Friend