You are missing out big time if you haven't.
The Body Finder is a YA thriller that begins with an intriguing and promising premise: violent deaths leave a unique imprint on the victim and the killer, and Violet Ambrose can sense them. Add in the facts that her uncle is the local police chief and that a serial killer is on the loose, and you have the makings for an exciting suspense/horror novel. Unfortunately, The Body Finder never lives up to its potential. Instead, most of the book deals with the relationship between Violet and her lifelong best buddy, Jay, who has suddenly blossomed into the junior-class hottie. Does he know that she is attracted to him? Does he feel the same about her? Is he really oblivious to all of the girls throwing themselves at him? Could they, should they, will they be more than friends? These questions are mulled over. And when they are finally answered, the writing devolves into near-bodice-ripper style.
What I love?
- It is a thriller and you don't see many of those page turners in YA
- Kimberly has a distinct voice. Violet is sassy and smart. Even though the book is in 3rd person, you feel so connected to the characters.
- The relationship between Jay and Violet is adorable. I love their banter. The relationship is a good one. Balanced and healthy. I think kids need to see it can be this way.
- I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. There's a scene in the woods that is gripping. I read this book in just a few days. (and I will never run in woods again)
- The cover is to die for!
Desires of the Dead (coming March 2011)
I got the Desires ARC a couple months ago. Desires is just as good as The Body Finder. A nice surprise when the sequel delivers.
Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.
In Bookanista News
1. We have three new members: Veronica Roth, Megan Miranda, and Jesse Kirby!
2. The cover of Elana Johnson’s POSSESSION has been revealed.
3. Lisa Roecker is about to have her baby and is going on maternity leave from blogging. (Congrads Lisa - we will miss you!) Check out Laura's hilarious announcement.
4. ARCS of Beth’s ACROSS THE UNIVERSE are now out!!!
5. Christine Fonseca’s book EMOTIONAL INTENSITY IN GIFTED STUDENTS is coming out on FRIDAY!!!!!!
Check out the other Bookanista's Reviews today:
- Beth Revis and Jamie Harrington are spreading some cover love for POSSESSION.
- Veronica Roth is dying over some upcoming SCI-FI/Dystopian book covers.
- Christine Fonseca is raving over THE REPLACEMENT.
- Elana Johnson has a special Friday edition, where she helps launch the book, EMOTIONAL INTENSITY IN GIFTED STUDENTS.
- Carolina Valdez Miller is crying over JOHN BELUSHI IS DEAD.
- Lisa and Laura Roecker are crazy over MATCHED.
- Shannon Messenger is showing some serious MG love with MG SPOTLIGHT.