Here are today's winners! Thanks again to all my followers!
Winner #1: Ash Elizabeth (Warning)
You won Hardback of Wicket Lovely by Melissa Marr and The Novel Writers Toolkit. Please email me your address.
Winner #2: Robyn Campbell (Putting Pen To Paper)
You won a Hardback of Devils Kiss by Sarwat Chadda and The Writers Course
Congrads and thank you for following me :)
Lessons from The Bachelor when querying agents/editors
Yes i need to make some excuse for my addiction to reality tv!
1. Stand out - Make sure your premise/query letter has a good hook
2. Don't use gimmicks to get attention - be professional
3. Don't be the "crazy one" - do not keep emailing them. Wait the allotted time they list in their submissions before hounding them
4. Remember that chemistry is not something you can force - sometimes its that untouchable factor. Don't take every rejection personally.
5. Don't be the aggressor - don't appear desperate
6. Expect to cry at least once - Its OK to be upset about rejections. Give yourself 24 hrs and then move on. Especially at rejection.
7. There are at least 25 other good writers in line with you - Keep in mind agents get thousands of queries and editors get hundreds of manuscripts. Don't take the long wait personally.
8 First impressions are critical - watch the mispellings in your letter.
9. Know when to talk - don't blog about your rejections
10. Don't give up on "love" because you haven't found it yet - it only takes one to love your work.
11. Don't settle - if an agent offers you representation, be sure you connect. A bad agent is worse than no agent at all.
12. Make sure they love you as much as you love them - be sure when you get representation that you choose someone who loves your work and voice. Not just the premise or idea.
13. No one likes drama - their is no room for drama in publishing. Keep it in your books.
14. Be true to yourself. Stay true to your writing, no matter what but be willing to revise.
15. There are other fish in the sea - if you get one rejection, move onto the next.
16. Love is a battlefield - This business is not easy. It is so hard. Those who fight through the rejections will prevail.
17. Don't focus on the ring. It is important you enjoy the journey and not stress yourself out to get to published.Try to have fun along the way.
18. Have faith you will find "the one" - there is an agent for you. Have faith you will find them at the right time.
19. You will not ride off into the sunset - after reaching one horizon, there will be another.
20. Learn from your mistakes.
Here's to hoping you all find your "true love"! :)