Instead I am rounding up your support!
Please comment on this post in the month of May and I will donate .25 cents for each and every comment!! ( I know it may not seem like much but its all I have :)
I am participating in a fundraiser for the month of May benefiting fellow Blogger, Portland Librarian, KitLit member, and aspiring writer, Bridget Zinn.
I started following Bridget's blog last year and related to some issues she was having - eye vision problems and bouts of the flu. I emphasized b/c I was going through vertigo issues at the time.
Even though I do not know her well (you know how different these blogger relationships are :), I feel compelled to help her in any way I can. After all, mine has healed and her healing has just begun. It could have easily been reversed.
So - who is Bridget Zinn?
For those of you who don't know here are a few facts about Bridget.
Within one month -
- she got a fabulous agent
- she began having weird vision problems
- she checked into the emergency room
- she was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer that had already spread to her abdomen, lungs and liver.
- she got engaged and married
- She went through emergency surgery to have the tumor removed from her colon
- she has just started chemo treatment and other expensive procedures.
- she had none of the risk factors and no prior knowledge that anything was wrong
Why am I telling you this?
Because I don't think many of us have an idea of what this process would be like. To have so many highs and lows at a young age. And not only facing a tough battle with the #1 disease in America, but also facing enormous medical bills and fear.
We all know, you can't put a price on a precious life. And Bridget has been gracious, funny, and positive through the whole process so far - making jokes and showing nothing but positivity and optimism.
Jone MacColloch has graciously gathered some authors (including Lisa Schroeder and the beautifully-expecting, Laini Taylor) and writing professionals to run an auction in the hopes of raising money for Bridget's medical bills.
Go there in the month of may to bid on some great items from books to book critiques to a fabulous marketing piece (who do yo think that is from? Moi! ;).
What can you do?
There are many ways you can give to Bridget:
- participate in the auction
- donate money to her medical fund (email Jone at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on how)
- provide additional auction items by emailing Jone at email@example.com.
- send any words of encouragement/well-wishes ( she is on facebook)
- Spread the word - post a link to this fundraiser/auction on your blog for the month of May
- If nothing else suits your fancy, comment on this post and I will donate .25 cents for each and every comment on this post in the month of May!!
If any of us were in this position, think of the heartfelt support - monetary as well as emotional - you would need/want but could not or would not ask for.
If you would like to send her wishes of good health, thoughts and prayers, you can visit her blog or friend her on Facebook where she and her fab new hubby, Barrett Dowell, do a great job of keeping everyone informed and up to date.
I thank you up front for anything you can contribute to Bridget and this challenging process she is embarking on.
Good luck Bridget, we are thinking of you always!