Visit book reviewers and librarians sites. Comment on their blogs. get the name recognition. Ask yourself what can you do FOR THEM. When your books come out - they may remember you :)
It's all Marketing! Don't let it fool you.
What is Marketing?
Everything you do can be called "Marketing" I have gotten tons of comments in the last few days about Pre-published Marketing especially since I spoke at Southern Breeze. Many of those comments are saying that they know of many authors that have NOT started marketing until their book has already come out. That is not true.
Remember: most writers/authors usually only think of Marketing as Book Marketing. They think of running ads or doing book signings and school events.
Marketing is any of the following: blogs, social networking sites, newsletters, speaking engagements, signings, podcasts, interviews, business cards, web sites. Anything you do to get your name out there and meet people is Marketing. ALOT of authors these days do start marketing before they get published.
They just don't know its marketing.
Marketing things you may already be doing and don't even know it!
- So if you are commenting on my blog for this contest - that is Marketing!
- If you are doing a blog - that is Marketing!
- If you have a web site (all together now) - Marketing!
- If you have joined facebook or myspace - Marketing (are you seeing a pattern yet?)
- If you have business cards - marketing (brand identity)
- If you are speaking at conferences on any topic - marketing
- If you have joined SCBWI - Marketing (networking is an informal way of marketing)
- Book signings? School Visits? Do I hear Marketing?
- Podcasts/Blog tours- Marketing
- Commenting on blogs or connecting to other people's blogs - marketing
Why do marketing at all?
Because you get your name out there. Name recognition and networking are critical in marketing (obviously second to writing a good book)
- Prepublished - if an editor or agent recognizes your name. It may get you a serious look or chance.
- Published - if a librarian or store owner know your name and see your book. They make book you for the signing over someone they have never met.
That is why you want to brand yourself - because you are getting out there anyway. Why not send a consistent message?
Other forms of Marketing
Don't get this confused when people offer "Marketing Workshops" that focus on Queries, Synopsis, and cover letters. This is a form of marketing to - you are marketing your book ideas to agents and editors. That is why they say "have a hook" - this is common term in Marketing.
Make sure if you go to a workshop that is titled Marketing - you read the details on which type of marketing it is.
Do Agents and Editors Market themselves?
This can all be true for editors and agents too. If they get their name out there - they may get better queries. They may get a chance at a specific author. That is why they go to conferences. That is why they go to lunch. That is why they tweet. That is why they mention the books they are working on at conferences or in interviews. All this gets their name, their agency/house, and their new books out in front of people so they are thought of first.
So what are they doing?
We all need to change our view of Marketing - beyond the basics.
So comment here and start your marketing. Start getting your name out.
Now go "market"