Marketing Tip: Check it out!
Check out this interview with Sara Dobie (PR Coordinator at Sylvan Publishing) on Sruble's world. She has some great advice about websites, blogs, and social networking.
Also - Dead Guy in the Room has a great post about One-on-One Marketing
Join me Monday for My Marvelous Marketer Interview with Martha Mihalick from Greenwillow! Jay Asher (Author of Thirteen Reasons Why) is scheduled for Monday, Feb 2nd.
I am telling you these because when I am building a new character, I use traits about myself to add dimensions. I am creating a new character right now for my Bright Side book (see side for description) so this helps me as I write. Make a list of the little things about you that you might not share and make them part of your characters. It makes them real and lovable. You'd be surprised if you think for a while the things that you end up remembering.
Here are a few secrets about me (I mean...about my characters) that I'll let you in on....
1. I love rainbows (I think it started when Kermit the Frog and Ms Piggy sang about it)
2. I believe in fairies (what is even more strange, is I actually think I might be one. Is anyone scared yet?)
3. I have SCBWI NYC conference envy (I want to go!)
4. I think I am funny (not sure what others think)
5. I am grumpy for about 53 minutes every morning (the time it takes to wake up, make coffee, IV coffee, and process coffee.)
6. I am a great multi-tasker (You may not believe me but right now, I am juggling, dancing, meditating and writing all at the same time)
7. I think too much (I'm not sure why. I'll think about that and get back to you)
8. My feet grew 1/2 size when I got prego. (I think my butt did too but we won't go there.)
9. I used to sing in a Jazz band (I actually believe I would make it to Hollywood on American Idol if I was just a little...ok alot...younger :(
10. I love to wear flip flops, jeans, and cargo pants (Target loves me but I hear Stacy and Clinton calling)
11. My attention span is bipolar - either 10 minutes or 10 hours (wait, what was I saying?).
12. I am an introvert and have more blogger friends than life ones. (sad but true)
13. You would think I was anally organized (unless you looked in my drawers or closets).
14. I am afraid to die. (It kills me to say that)
15. I talk with my hands. (if waving my hands around constitutes talking.)
16. I just found out I have my first cavity in 20 years :( (Do i have to tell my 5 year old?)
17. I love watching the Oscars and the Red Carpet Review. (i mean I block out the whole day for it and the fashion review)
18. I have a love/hate relationship with my computer (and I refuse to buy one until I get an agent)
19. I hate conformity, materialism, and indifference.
20. I am happy when I help people accomplish things. (probably why I do this blog on marketing)
21. Last week I bought coffee for a bunch of street people. (and for some reason I'm the one that cried when I gave it to them)
22. I would die for my kids. (nothing funny about this one. I totally would.)
23. I hate cleaning toilets and sticking my hand in the garbage disposal. (oh hubbbbbbyyyyyyy!)
24. When something breaks, I call my hubby. (oh hhhhuuuuuubbbbbyyyyyy!)
25. When people cry around me, I cry too. (which isn't too bad unless it is a stranger, then its kinda weird)
26. I hate it when strange dogs lick me. (strange kids are even worse. :)
27. If I was a character in the movie/book The Compass, my animal spirit would be an owl. (I see them everywhere. That's weird right?)
28. I'm am not an outdoorsy girl. (I can be outdoors but I don't love it)
29. I have a vision board in my office (and yes, Oprah is on it)
30. I want to die my hair red. (Not that I die it now ;)
31. I tend to think the glass is half-empty. (Luckily my hubby keeps it full :)
32. I tend to cuss a shitload. (Damn there I go again.)
33. If my life was a movie - it would be a comedic musical. (Titles? Word Up or Write On)
34. I talk to myself (I even argue with myself. But don't worry though, I always win.)
35. I do not eat many fruit and veggies ( *sigh* - I need to work on that.)
36. I had 2 c-sections and they hurt! (I don't care what people say.)
37. I pout when I am sad. (and mad and frustrated and tired)
38. I believe in UFOs, horoscopes, wishing on a star, reincarnation, and Santa Claus. (Call me gullible but I may even believe in Big Foot?)
39. When I was 12, I got kicked out of Horse Camp for mooning a car. (Which I do NOT Recommend!)
40. I tell white lies. (But only if I have too - oops there I go again)
41. I have naturally curly hair which I love in the winter but hate in the summer. (I think I'll start a support group - Curly Hair's Anon.)
42. I wish I was a superhero. (Hawk girl would be so cool but "Fly on the wall" girl would be even better)
43. I am not patient and can have a temper (I call it my Bee-ach factor)
44. I have been diagnosed with ADHD (Its ok, it helps me be creative)
45. I have a black thumbs. (My condolences go out thousands of plants and their families)
46. I was a cheerleader and joined a sorority because other people told me too. (If you knew me, i think this would surprise you b/c I'm NOT the "perky" type. I refer to myself as a Positive Cynic.)
47. I love animals but not animal encounters. (Once I was almost licked to death by a giraffe and a buffalo - left me scarred for life.)
48. Sometimes, I dream about being published. (I mean in my dream. I am jumping up and down about a multi-book deal only to wake to a snoring agent and a 5 year old editor)
49. I have one (discreet) tattoo. (And sometimes I secretly get the urge to get another one.)
50.I make alot of useless lists.
Have a great weekend!